The Little Harbour Fire Department is located at 8328 Pictou Landing Road in Little Harbour. It was formed as a result of a meeting held November 11, 1958 in the Community Hall. Fundraising was done through the winter and the first hall was built in 1959 on land donated by Mrs. J.R. Reid. Logs for construction were donated by John S Cameron and John Ballantyne.
On July 4 1959 an organizational meeting was held and Harry Ferguson was appointed fire Chief with George Reid and Ed MacLaren appointed as Deputy Chiefs. A truck had been purchased at a cost of $1238.22.
A new truck was purchased in 1960 at a cost of $4800.00 .
In 1970 Harry resigned as chief due to work commitments but stayed on as an active member and Bob Russell was appointed as chief. Bob was chief until 1988 when he resigned due to health reasons. Bob Cullen was appointed as chief and continued as chief until 1994 when Don Wadden was appointed. A fundraiser was held to put an addition on the hall and purchase a new four wheel drive truck.
The Ladies Fire Auxiliary was organized in September 13 1978 , for the purpose of assisting the firemen in their work. Their first slate of officers consisted of –Ann Johnson President; Marjorie MacLean Vice President; Paula Richards Secretary; Elizabeth Cutcliffe Treasurer. They continue to be strong supporters of the fire department raising funds for new equipment each year.
Our first pumper (Truck6) was purchased in 1987 at a cost of $120,000.00; built by Superior Emergency Vehicles of Red Deer Alberta and our first tanker truck (Truck7) was purchased in 1989.
The fire hall went through several other additions and in 1999 a new fire hall was built across the road from the original. In 2003 we purchased a new pumper truck (Truck8) built by Fort Gary Fire Trucks, Winnipeg Manitoba. Our rescue truck was built by Lantz Truck Bodies Port Williams Nova Scotia in 2004. In 2009 we added a 1200 sq foot training room to the building as part of renovations needed to accommodate the new tanker truck. With renovations complete we purchased a new tanker truck (Tanker1) in 2012 from Metalfab Fire Trucks Centerville New Brunswick.
We have dry hydrants installed at the Woodburn Rd intersection, at Whits Pond at Black Point Rd intersection and one beside the firehall.
Our coverage area includes the communities of Anderson Mountain, Black Point, Chance Harbour, Little Harbour, Kings Head, Melmerby Beach and Woodburn. We are funded though an area rate as well as fundraising activities of the fire department and ladies auxiliary.
We install civic signs white on blue reflective with post for $35.00.
If you would like more information on the fire department you could contact email@example.com
We are Social. Visit us on